Glass Crack Repair: Cracked Glass Will Eventually Break
When there are cracks in your windows, you can take take temporary safety measures to keep the crack from spreading. However, these temporary fixes won’t last forever and you will eventually have to replace the glass.
Replacing window glass can be a tough and time-consuming process. At Glass Doctor®, we provide expert home and auto glass replacement services for long-term solutions. Call 855-603-1919 to fix your cracked home or auto windows today.
Repair Tips: What to Do When Window Panes Crack
Here are tips for a quick, temporary fix for your cracked home or auto windows:
- Put masking tape on both sides of the crack to stabilize it.
- Clean the glass surface with acetone (nail polish remover) and carefully apply superglue to help contain the crack.
If the crack is in a home window and you’re losing heat or AC through the crack, try the following fixes and call a professional immediately.
- Cover the window with plastic. There are kits you can use to insulate your windows temporarily.
- If you have a storm window, you can put insulation between the panes. Try using bubble wrap—the air pockets will provide more insulation than cardboard.
While you’re working on the window, check around the frame and glass. If there are gaps, especially with older windows, use a caulking gun to seal them.
These fixes are temporary because once glass is cracked, the crack will spread. While you can’t stop the crack from spreading, you might be able to slow it down.
What to Know About Cracked Glass
Here are the most important things to know about cracked glass:
- Though you can stabilize and slow the spread of a glass crack, the glass will have to be replaced eventually for safety reasons.
- Glass breaks can be dangerous no matter the type of glass, but tempered glass can lessen that danger. Rather than repairing just the crack, consider replacing pane with tempered glass to keep you and your loved ones safe.
- A cracked auto windshield greatly compromises your safety in the event of a collision or rollover.
- Keep in mind that in some states, you can be ticketed for driving with damaged auto glass.
Because cracked glass poses a threat to safety, it’s best to have an expert repair or replace the affected glass as soon as possible.
Glass Doctor is knowledgable about all things glass. Whether it’s replacing a cracked window pane, auto glass, a glass shower enclosure, or a custom-cut tabletop, our workmanship is guaranteed. And better yet, we’re local, bonded and insured.
When to Replace Cracked Glass
Cracked glass should be replaced as soon as possible. Broken glass is a huge safety hazard, especially if you have kids or pets. This problem can easily be fixed by Glass Doctor professionals.
If you have a double-paned window and the crack has broken the seal, our experts can immediately come out and put in a new sealed pane.
If your windows are old and your HVAC bills are climbing, it may be time to invest in safe, modern insulated glass units.
Glass Doctor can install new energy-efficient glass that can save you money on heating and AC bills.
Schedule a Glass Repair Appointment with Glass Doctor
Give us a call at 855-603-1919 to speak to a Glass Doctor expert about auto and home glass crack repair.
Your Mechanic: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/the-guide-to-cracked-windshield-laws-in-all-states-by-brady-klopfer